Sunday, August 30, 2009

How to be Successful in an Interview - Easy to Understand Tips and Advice

A prospective employer can often learn as much about a job candidate from their body language in the interview as from what they say.

What exactly do we mean by body language? Well it is the way in which we conduct ourselves and our demeanour; it is the way we look, move and sit that sends out signals to others. Our body language can let them know how we feel, whether we are afraid, aggressive, confident, intimidated and a range of other feelings and emotions.

In an interview it is important to send out the right signals, to make a good impression. You need to be able to show that you are interested, enthusiastic and relaxed. Do not slump or slouch in your chair. You should sit back and look the interviewer(s) directly and be prepared to engage with them confidently. You should make eye contact with the interviewer and other members of the panel if appropriate. Great care must be taken with use of the hands when responding to questions or talking to the interviewer. It is accepted as good practice that the hands be used whilst talking in order to emphasise points you wish to make. Over use of the hands can be distracting and may leave the interviewer with the impression that you have an untidy mind. Never fold your arms when you are interviewed as this immediately puts up a barrier between you and the interviewer.

Interviews can be stressful and learning how to cope with this stress by being aware of ones body language is vital to success.

Almost every interview or application form will be looking for you to answer this question. So, what is the perfect answer to the question, "Why do you want this job?" Here is the perfect answer although you will need to tailor it to suit your exact situation ...

I want this job because I feel that I possess all the necessary qualifications, qualities and skills, to enable me to be successful. I believe that I fit the person specification perfectly.

As I have detailed in my CV I am able to work independently or as part of a team. I use my initiative and do not need to wait for others to tell me what to do. My people skills are highly developed and I have a good record of being able to bring out the best in others. I am confident in dealing with people at all levels of responsibility and should the need arise I am comfortable with members of the public.

The job will also allow me to develop the skills I already have and acquire new ones. I see this as an opportunity for me to progress my career development. The challenge that the job presents, is something that I will enjoy tackling. I am at my best when faced with problems that need to be solved quickly and successfully. I am certain that I can make an impact and bring benefit to the organization and to myself. The job is a logical step forward for me and if I was appointed then I feel you would not be disappointed.

So there you have it, the winning combination to secure your dream job!

0 comments: